Monday, January 6, 2014

the coming year.


This past year taught me so many things. It was full of a lot of love and a lot of laughter, but it also brought a lot of intensely personal struggle. It was the year my baby brother won his second state championship and was named all-state. The year my sister moved to Florida, and moved back to Missouri again. It was the year my art finally made some sense to me. It was a year of growth, a year of a few answers and many questions.

It's around this time each year, when the year changes over, and cold temperatures push us inside, that my heart starts to ache for a new adventure. Something, some where settles into my soul and takes a hold, begging me to explore. 2014 has some big changes out there on it's horizon, changes that I am both holding my breath for and that are also a little scary. I have big dreams that I am scared of seeing slip away. But I have to remind myself that I don't have to cram all of my dreams into the coming year, that life will take it's course. I just have to focus on the task at hand: this new year.

With that said, there are so many things I want to tackle in the coming months--new travels, new hobbies, more exercise, less junk food, more reading, less TV-watching, a puppy finally (fingers crossed!). I am looking forward to exploring my art, seeing where that road will take me. To eating better, not because I know it's the right thing to do, but to feel better. To practicing more yoga, to finally running a bit. But my one goal, the one that all of the others can fall under is to feel a little more at home in myself. To work towards being a kinder, calmer, more invested in the things and people I love person. 2014 will be a year of changes, a year of struggles as they all are. I think this will be a good one. Here's to big dreams, cozy homes, and a year of love and peace in 2014.

(image via)

No comments:

Post a Comment