Wednesday, October 2, 2013

decorating inspirations | 1.

When my mind looks to wander for a few hours, I often turn to decorating my imaginary dreams homes. (Yes, homes. Slam that s. ) I'm a sucker for gorgeous interiors. My personal tastes lean towards classic neutrals, a little more minimalism and a lot of coziness. But that doesn't stop me from falling head over heels in love with different styles--From bright bohemians to glam mixes of pattern and textures to industrial modern. 

I thought I would start sharing more inspiration I am gathering from around the web (specifically Pinterest and tumblr). A little decorating outlet for me and hopefully some inspiration for you.

images: wall gallery | brown table + black chairs | plantsback-splash | neutral + classic color | chalkboard wall // products: tom dixon beat light fat | westelm crosby sofa | westelm box frame coffee table | alcott chair | new orleans neighborhood poster by ork posters | round jute bins

In decor, or clothes, or art, or literature, I'm all about the basics, focusing on the staple items to use as a foundation and build on over time. My basics for decorating: neutral colors, classic furniture, natural elements, wall gallery, and a chalkboard wall.

neutral colors--Tried and true, tones of tans, black, white, grays, brown, transition from every season, every room, and every one of my moods. I love the look of layered neutrals throughout a home, creating a classic and calming environment. But I also find that they can really make colors pop if and when I want to bring in more color in the accessories. Another way to add a little more interest is to play with patterns in neutral tones (i.e. that black and white back-splash)--it adds some texture and fun while keeping a classic element.

classic furniture--Investing in durable and beautiful furniture can take a lot of time and money. Sticking to classic pieces that will endure over the years is the best way to get the most of your money and space.

natural elements--I can't keep a plant alive to save my life, but I am determined to figure it out. Plants and other natural elements like wood have a way of making a place really feel like home, creating a warm and inviting environment.

wall gallery--These are popping up all over Pinterest, but I still love 'em. A well-executed wall gallery is timeless. By switching out the photos or artwork, the mood of a room can completely change. I like to stick to old family photos mixed with artwork that I have collected. I also love to hang them on a wall that may otherwise not be a focal point to keep a balance in a room (i.e. a wall adjacent to the couch or bed, instead of directly behind).

chalkboard wall--These are another trend that have been popping up in play rooms and kitchens for years now. But I am still obsessed. In school I loved any excuse to write on the board. And when I would visit my dad's office, I loved to draw on the white boards in the conference rooms. I was a nerd. And the nerd in me will always love a chalkboard wall. Especially when it makes keeping all those lists more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment