Wednesday, August 7, 2013

currently reading | mo' meta blues: the world according to questlove.


"I get to be a superfan with the best seats in the house " Mo' Meta Blues, Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson

While in Chicago, my lovely boyfriend was shocked by the admission of serious listening of The Roots. I was a little offended (as he often accuses me of being) that he was surprised by this. I'll admit, I am a huge music fan, but not the best at being so. I rarely know song titles, even of songs that I love. I don't study the albums or devour articles relating to the music, nor do I seek out interviews with the artists. I just listen, I put on the record, and play. If I don't like a song, I skip it. Otherwise, I let it play. And if I love it, I mean, if it's my jam I hit repeat. Over and over and over and over again.  How I Got Over, is one of my favorite albums--and one I have yet to tire of. 

And, let's be real, music aside, how can you not love The Roots on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon? (I may or may not have watched about 2 weeks worth of episodes while sick over the weekend.)

From the moment I opened Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson, I kind of fell for Questlove. A human sized, brilliant, music loving teddy bear. His voice instantly soft and warm and genius. From a very young age, Questlove was simply a music fan. Interested in songs that moved him, he listened to their intricacies and he loved them because they moved him. From Prince to Lauryn Hill to the Beach Boys and Grizzly Bear. His story is told in the context of these artists he loved, the albums with memories attached (both good and painful), and through the movement of hip-hop/r&b in his lifetime (and a bit before it).  Over the last two decades, and then some, Questlove has found himself, mostly an unknown, invisible at 6'5" and 300 pounds to the public eye, yet deeply connected to some of music's biggest names and most influential events. This book is cultural and personal. It is musical and it is brilliant.

A discussion that frequently comes up around Andrew (in fact we discussed this on the plane to Chicago just a few weeks ago): which rapper/artist would you want to spend a day with? Questlove immediately shot to the top of my list after reading this.

Bonus: An interesting look at race and Trayvon Martin from Questlove himself here

No comments:

Post a Comment